Off Topic Remove Bump Feature

General subject and ideas
oliver21a
first captain
first captain

Off Topic Remove Bump Feature

Post by oliver21a »

I know this is not a new request. I know there are many posts regarding this. But they've clearly been ignored or otherwise dismissed. So this is a new post regarding getting rid of this entirely useless function. People who bump are the definition of forum pests. Bump is used by people to bring topics/threads/posts to the top of the lists to generate traffic to that post, in general. This forum is built on people posting pictures, information, videos, etc about specific people. When said documents about people are acquired, most users post them. Bumping threads serves no function whatsoever. People who bump are the definition of forum pests. It is stated in the very rules of this forum that people are not to post replies to existing threads without content. On the grounds that simply posting new replies is behavior associated with pests as opposed to contributors and appreciators and not people actually contributing to the furthering of content. On these grounds alone, bumping should be banned. Bumping permits people to push threads to the top of the list despite there not being new content or any contribution to a thread even being proposed, much less offered. People who bump are the definition of forum pests. More directly, bumping serves no legitimate, perceived, functional, or serviceable function. I would bet my life that not a single person has ever thought "man, I'll post this picture as soon as somebody bumps the thread." Posts with new content will be elevated to the top. View at your pleasure. Those that haven't been elevated because of new content fall behind. Nothing new. Do not waste your time. Stop calling attention, with no purpose, to these posts. When new content arrives, it will be posted. If you have content or information regarding new content that hasn't been posted, then post about it. In summary: There is no reason to have a bump function. Get rid of it.
oliver21a
first captain
first captain

Re: Off Topic Remove Bump Feature

Post by oliver21a »

I'm pretty sure bump exists for the very rule you stated. If they removed that button the bumpers would flood every thread with "bump" or some other useless comment. With bumps you don't get a notification for watched threads but for comments you do. I would much rather people bump than to log on and have 100+ notifications of idiots bumping with comments. Also there is a use, albeit very very niche where an older thread with only expired links gets bumped up, someone who has 1 or more of the missing dead links can repost when they see it instead of someone commenting asking for a reup notifying everyone who is following only for it to be a comment. It's also a perfectly fine feature in the requests section since that stuff would get lost quick.